The Create the Future Design Contest was launched in 2002 by the publishers of NASA Tech Briefs magazine to help stimulate and reward engineering innovation. The annual event has attracted more than 5,000 product design ideas from engineers, entrepreneurs, and students worldwide. Presented by SolidWorks Corporation, this year the contest is co-sponsored by COMSOL, Hewlett-Packard, and National Instruments.
The 2008 contest is open for entries until October 17, 2008.
* Consumer Products: Products that increase quality of life in the workplace, at home, during leisure time, or while traveling.
* Machinery, Equipment and Component Technology: Products that speed and improve work, manufacturing, or scientific research processes.
* Medical Products: Products that improve the efficiency and quality of healthcare.
* Safety and Security: Products that enhance the security or safety of individuals, businesses, communities, or nations.
* Sustainable Technologies: Products that help reduce dependence on non-renewable energy resources, as well as products designed for other purposes using environmentally friendly materials or manufacturing processes.
* Transportation: Products that enable movement of people and goods from one place to another.
Here are three of the most interesting inventions to emerge from this year’s contest:
Moveable Braille Timepiece
safety kitchen cutter
ElectriLite Community Electric Vehicle
wrist watch cum key holder
ORIENS – reinventing the lifecycle of a plane
Science, Technology, Business, Development, Innovation, Business Plans, Entrepreneurship, Social Responsibility, Open Source, Software, DIY, Citizen Science, Research, University, Laboratory, Startups, Spin-offs, Society, High Tech, Appropriate Technology, Inventors, Scientists, Technologists, Health, Global Change, Poverty, Third World, Design, Green, Physics, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Medicine, BoP, Communities, Networks, Jam, Creative Commons, Wiki, Hacking, Labs, Public Domain, Pro Poor, Sustainability, Renovable Energy, Research, Nature, Peer to Peer, Books, Teaching, Web 2.0, On Line Learning, Lemelson RAMP, Google Summer of Code, Google Code In, Google Science Fair, Intel Challenge, BIOMOD, OLPC, iGEM, IDDS, Microtelcos, Wireless, Create the Future Design Contest, Moonbots, Knowledge, Entrepreneurs, Open Access, Inventions, Incubators, Projects, Engineering, Engineers, Women, Policy, Popular Science, Astronomy, Agriculture, Water, Climate Change, REE, Hacker Spaces, Open Innovation, Yachachiq, BiD Network, Technoserve, Peru, MOOC, Crowdfunding, Startup Chile, Startup Peru, Instructables, NASA, FabLab, FoodLab, GSoC, GCI